Reasons for tree pruning
- Overall health of the tree
- Reduce risk, Safety – proper pruning of deadwood and hazards prevent personal injury and property damage
- Structure – corrective or directional pruning allows the tree to maintain its physical appearance and aesthetic value
- Improve sunlight into shaded areas of landscape in need of more beneficial light
- Building and utility clearance – helps prevent the growth of moss and mold on buildings, prevents access for squirrels and other animals, and prevent interruptions in services by clearing utilities
When should I have my trees pruned?
Flowering trees should be pruned immediately after the blooms fall off. Winter is a good time for pruning so as to clearly see the trees structure without the foliage, and most diseases are dormant during the winter as well.